Like any material that is expected to provide a design life at high temperatures, fused quartz demands some care in handling and use to achieve maximum performance from the product.
- Space permitting, fused quartz should be stored in its original shipping container
- If that is not practical, at least the wrapping should be retained
- In the case of tubing, the end coverings should be kept in place until the product is used. This protects the ends from chipping and keeps out dirt and moisture that may compromise the purity and performance of the tubing
Rotation Procedures For Fused Quartz Furnace Tubes
- Place tube in furnace at 1200 °C, and rotate it 90 degrees every two hours for the first 30 hours
- If the working schedule does not permit adherence to this procedure, place the tube in a furnace at 1200 °C and rotate it 90 degrees every two hours for the first 8 hours, then reset the furnace to operating temperature.